Scope of the Course:
- Economists are employed in large numbers in industries, institutions and different departments of the Government.
- Financial institutions – both national and international absorb Economists with some training.
- With globalization the need for economists in business and industry is growing.
- Hence, constant effort should be made to improve the skill and knowledge of the students of economics and make them employable.
Aims and goals of the course
- To take cognizance of the different economic systems that are prevailing
- To make the students know about the basic functions of an economy,
- To enable the learners understand the various markets and their roles in an economic set-up,
- To hone one's skill in analysis and interpretation of economic principles,
- To equip enough knowledge to start an enterprise.
- To develop self-confidence among student community.
- To cater to the present day need of the society.
- To impart quality education in Economics to Rural and Economically weaker students
- To make the students creative and research oriented
- To provide a platform to the students to exhibit their talents and creativity
- To provide education not only to acquire knowledge but also to inculcate a sound philosophy for a holistic living
- To encourage self evaluation, personality development and guide the students to strive towards perfection and competence
- The Department of Economics provides excellent teaching and learning environment with its focus on continuing education
After completion of three years, the program should be able to demonstrate the following abilities among the students:-
- To supply young economists.
- Develop the opportunities in analyzing the problems of society and finding a solution.
- To develop self-confidence.
- To meet the challenges of the ever changing economic environment.
- To develop skills and ethics
- To develop value orientation.
- To make them good citizens and to discharge their social responsibility.
- To prepare them for higher studies
BRIEF HISTORY OF ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT A MILESTONE
1971 -1972 - Under Graduate courses was started
1980- 1981 - Post Graduate was started
1990-1991 - Inauguration of part- time Ph.D programme
2006-2007 - Inauguration of part time M.Phil programme
2006-2007 - Inauguration of full- time Ph.D programme
2008-2009 - Inauguration of full - time M.Phil programme