BS.C Visual Communication is mix of theory and practical papers that it encompasses the entire media studies put together. The theory papers put the visual communication course on a sound theoretical frame work and lay the foundation to understand the communication through visual means. Some of the theory papers are; introduction to visual communication, media ethics, media organization, media culture and society, advertisement, communication theories etc. These papers supplement the practical papers of the visual communication course.
The visual communication course is designed in such a way that students can specialize in four practical area of visual literacy. One is the hand based visual communication, second computer based visual communication, third visual communication through still photography and the fourth is visual communication through videography imagery.
The hand based imagery has two practical papers; one is freehand drawing and other is graphic design. The learning curve of these papers are to get training in free hand drawing and in controlled drawing skills. The specialized training can transform the students to become sketchers and illustrators and even make forays into art directors.
The computer based imagery has five papers; web designing, animation, computer graphics 3 D Max etc. It is through these papers students are trained to become web designers, animators and graphic artists. There is a huge demand in the media and entertainment industry for professionals who have specialized training in these aread of computer based imagery. Students of visual communication make good money working on projects outside while pursuing this course..
Photography is another area of visual communication course. There four papers related to photography that imparts professional training in generating still imagery. Some of the areas of specialization are; Ad photography, product photography, event photography, fashion photography etc. Students specializing in these areas of photography are in huge demand in the media industry.
Television production is another core area of visual communication course. In this area of the course there are three theory papers and two practical papers on video production. This television production papers exposes the students to the various field of film making. They are trained in the area of cinematography, video editing, sound recording, light arrangement, art direction, script writing, dialogue writing, creative direction etc. All these skill sets are in huge demand in the ever-growing media and entertainment industry.
Opportunities for Visual Communication graduates
The Visual communication course is designed in such a way that it trains students get job ready to easily enter into the media industry. The employment opportunities for the Viscom graduates are immense. The media industry is always on a look out for graduates from the viscom department. Good talents are absorbed instantly in the industry. They are taken in the position of assistant creative director Visualizer, web designers, animators, graphic designer, cinematographers, sound engineers, photographers etc. The good part is that most of these jobs fetch high remuneration and earnings may vary on the chosen area of specialization.
However, since media industry is a very competitive in nature only those who have really good skill set and understanding of visual literacy can enter into this field of media and entertainment industry.
List of successive Heads of the Department:
- Dr.RamaPrabha 2004- 2014
- Ms .TamilSelvi 2015-2016
- Dr Syed Ali Mujtaba 2016 to date
List of Teaching Staff
- Dr. Syed Ali Mujtaba M.A.,M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.,NET -HEAD
- Mr.L.Sathish Kumar M.SC
- Ms.P.Rekha M.A
- Mr.R.Arun Kumar M.A
- Mr.R.Inbaraj DFT
- Mr. G. Tamilvanan M.F.A
- Dr.P.Jaya Prakash M.SC., M.Phil., Ph.D.,NET
Technical Data of the Department:
- Year of Establishment: 2004
- No. Teachers sanctioned: NIL
- Present position: 7 Mgt. Staff
- No. of teachers and students: 7teachers and 150students
- Ratio of teachers to students: 1 : 25
- The year when the curriculum was last revised: 2008-2009
- Success rate of students:
- Publication by Faculty: HOD has many publication including TWO BOOKS , Chapters in edited volumes, research articles and documentary films.
- Publication by Faculty:
- No. of seminars attended : HOD is regular paper presenter at national and internatoal seminars. The last he attended was a media seminar in Sept 2016,conducted by EWC Hawaii
- No. of on-going projects
- No. of books in the department library: NIL
- No. of computers: 17
- Annual Budget:
Evaluative Report of the Department:
- Faculty Profile: - There are 7 faculty members in the department as stated above. TWO of them are Ph.D holders
- Student Profile- entry level competencies, socioeconomic status, language proficiency etc.:- The Course is available to under graduate students. Therefore, those who were passed +2 are eligible for the courses. The University sanction strength is 50 seats per section. These seats are allotted to different socio economic category of students as per Government guidelines. The medium of instruction is English.
- Changes made in the courses or programmes during the past two years and the contribution of the faculty to those changes:- This course is affiliated to University of Madras. However, now the department functions under Autonomous status of the college. The new syllabus was introduced in 2015 with the approval of Board of Studies meeting. To this some suggestions and improvements were made in the Board of Studies meeting held on January 19, 2017.
- Trends in the success and dropout rates of students during the past two years:- A negligible number of drop out of students due to various reasons. They are a) A few get employment and discontinue the studies. b) A few students face some financial or social difficulties and discontinue the studies. d) A negligible number of students detain due to shortage of attendance of below 50%.
- Learning resources of the department – library, computers, laboratories and other resources:- The Department has sizable number books for the use of the faculty members and students. These books are kept in the library and students and faculty members can read and borrow them from the library. A computer is used for all administrative purposes and kept in staff room of the department. The faculty members are using it for preparing lessons in PowerPoint format for class lectures and preparing articles for seminars.
- Modern teaching methods practiced and use of ICT in teaching- learning: - The department is employing modern teaching methods and there is lot of emphasis on outside class room learning.
- Participation of teachers in academic and personal counseling of students:- Besides regular teaching hours the faculty member also carry out the following activities. a) Extra class for completion of syllabus if necessary. b) Remedial classes for slow learners. c) Counseling for bright students for career guidance. d) Counseling to slow learner students for improving their standard. e) Parent teacher meeting. f) Guiding the students who participate in inter-collegiate competitions like debate, essay writing, Quiz competition etc.
- Details of faculty development programmes and teachers who have been benefited during:-
- Participation/ contribution of teachers to the academic activates including teaching consultancy and research : -
- Collaboration with other department/ institutions at the state National and International levels and their outcomes during …:-
- Priority areas for Research and details of the on-going projects, important and noteworthy publications of the faculty, during 2009-2011:- The department is undergraduate studies and does not have scope of research.
- Placement record of the past students and the contribution of the department to aid student placement.- There is no organized mechanism for recording the placement services however it is understood that most of the students are doing jobs in private company even before they finish the studies..
- Plan of action of the department during 2016-2017:- The Department plans to shift to the new building in the academic year 2017/18. New infrastructure will be equipped with new labs and latest equipment. The department plans to do the following programme in the coming years. a) Expansion of the department. b) Conducting a national seminar on current themes of media by inviting reputed speakers on the field. c) Instituting endowment prizes for the students to develop healthy competitions. d) conducting cultural fest etc
The Visual Communication department of Guru Nanak College is proud that most of its students are already employed while being an under-graduate student. The vision and mission of the department is to provide state of art facilities in all the four core areas of specialization. The labs of these specialized areas of training should be equipped with latest equipment so that students get hands down training on far with media industry and they can have smooth transition to the professional world.
Another vision and mission is that students should get internship in the best of the media companies and there should be campus interviews by these companies and they can pick the students while they are still in the college.
There should be wholesome personality development of the students during the degree course and even as they learn the different languages of visual communication, they should not lack in any way in the verbal communication skills. The vison and mission of the visual communication course is to train the students in both verbal and nonverbal means of communication.